About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Monday 30 May 2011

Archibald Prize and NSW Art Gallery

It is the time of the year to view the Archibald entries and resulting winner. The Wynne and Sulman art entries and winners also form part of the special exhibits at the NSW Art Gallery. I haven't managed to view these on an annual basis, my frequency is more like a biannual event.

The Archibald Prize is the most famous and prestigious prize in Australia for Portrait painting. The Wynne Prize is for Landscape painting or Figurative sculpture. The Sulman is for Subject, Genre or Mural paintings. As photography is not allowed in the special exhibition area I have none to show. The Archibald winner for this year is Ben Quilty's Margaret Olley. I must say that in my humble opinion I did not like the style of art of the winning entry. My favourite was Del Kathryn Barton's Mother (a portrait of Cate). There was so much colour and texture in that piece so I voted it for People's Choice.

I love going to the NSW Art Gallery. It is located in the Domain and is such a peaceful place to be in and soak in all the great art!

After all the art, I decided to have some lunch. My friend DD suggested we try Neil Perry's Rockpool Bar and Grill. He was telling me how good the burger is. So with hungry tummies we walked over to the restaurant and discovered to our dismay it was not open for lunch on Saturdays. Dismay!!!! So because we were so into having a burger we went over to Charlie & Co and had the wagyu burger and this time I ordered the Parmesan and Truflle fries. Goodness gracious the chips are so addictive and delicious. I could not stop downing the chips.
Wagyu burger

Parmesan and truflle chips

What a lovely day of art, food and pleasant company...I hope you had a good one too.

No comments: