About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Saturday 8 October 2011

Longrain Melbourne

The first Longrain restaurant opened in Sydney years ago and until now, I had not been to it yet (even though I live in Sydney). While recently in Melbourne, I decided that I really should attempt to get a table at Longrain Melbourne (no bookings if less than 6 people).

I first tried on Friday night and I was told it would be more than an hour's wait to get a table. That was about 6.25pm. So I thought I would try the next night. I was successful and my nephew was kind enough to join me for the meal. It turns out that one of his favourite Asian restaurants in Melbourne is Longrain. Perfect!

We ordered the famous Eggnet filled with pork, prawns, peanuts and caramelised coconut. This was served with a cucumber relish. In addition to that, we had the stir fried duck breast with snake beans, Thai basil and curry paste; crispy fried whole baby snapper with salted pork, Thai basil & sour eschalot relish. All these served with jasmine boiled rice.

My verdict is the food was delicious; the eggnet was so full of flavour (very surprising). There were lots of fresh vegetables and with the combination of the cucumber relish provided the tangy flavour to the already slightly salty, slightly sweet dish. Delicious! And to boot, it was a visually attractive dish. Once again, it was a relatively darkly lit restaurant so my images are not too great!

Eggnet dish

The baby snapper was nicely deep fried, it had a lovely crunchy texture combined with the Thai spices. The duck breast was also nicely spiced. I must say, I was surprised at the generous servings of each dish.


Duck breast with Thai basil

Deep fried baby snapper

I decided to skip dessert. The meal was filling and we both left feeling full and happy with our dish choices.

Longrain Melbourne
44 Little Bourke Street
Melbourne
VIC 3000
Australia
Website: http://www.longrain.com.au/

No comments: