About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 15 January 2012

Fresh sugar cane juice

When the weather is hot and muggy, it is always nice to have a cold and refreshing drink. I was in Flemington this morning and as I was walking up the shops, I suddenly had a desire to have some fresh sugar cane juice for lunch.

When I was living in Malaysia 'way back when', freshly squeezed sugar cane juice was usually bought in a plastic bag with a string of raffia tied around it. But how times have changed. To my surprise, the sugar cane was put through the machine and the end result was a sealed plastic cup filled with the juice and ice cubes. The lady only had to put the cane through the machine, the rest was all done by technology. I was so pleasantly surprised!

Since I had not ordered sugar cane juice in goodness knows how long, I obviously was not aware of this new machine that package the drinks on the spot. How cool! Now I know how the drinks we had at Ms Gs were packaged (see Ms Gs).



I must say it was a good choice...I thoroughly enjoyed the ice cold drink.

1 comment:

Kin Yuen said...

Yes, they still make sugar cane juice on the roadside in Malaysian towns and cities, just as you remebered it. Soemhow, the taste can be so different, maybe sharper, fresher and moe natural.