About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 18 November 2012

Seven Seeds (Melbourne)

Okay, this is one of my last blog post on my recent trip to Melbourne. There was so much to do, so many places to check out , and so many friends to catch up with that I ended up posting 5 posts on focus venues (including this). I plan to do an overview of my trip sometime in the near future but it will take me a while to catch up on my backlog.

On my recent trip, I was on the lookout for a good breakfast place to check out while in Melbourne. On the recommendation of a well known blogger (Jeroxie), I visited Seven Seeds at Carlton. This was on my last morning before heading home to Sydney.



Walking down Berkeley Street, I couldn't for the life of me work out how there could be a cafe here. It was a quiet street, with quite a bit of construction work going on and no visible signs of cafe life. And when I saw the Seven Seeds sign, I couldn't even tell if it was open. But I peeked through the windows and saw signs of life in there!! Yay!! I pushed through the large wooden door and literally stepped into this loft like warehouse cafe. I loved the ambience..there were bicycles set to one side and there was even one hanging on the wall rack.




There was a large communal table and other small sets of tables. There were so many people ordering take away coffees and a few having a sit in meal. After all, it is about 8.30 on a Monday morning so I expected to see a lot of take aways due to the start of a work day.


I ordered my usual cup of skinny cappuccino and for breakfast I had the 'Two free range eggs cooked sous vide, with kasundi, salsa verde, pecorino, green elk and dukkah'. I ordered this not even knowing what a kasundi is. But now I know (after a little research on google).


The dish was smashingly good! Loved the exotic flavours, loved the spiciness of the kasundi, loved the crunchy textures of the dukkah plus what I could see were pepitas (hope I am not wrong). The eggs were beautifully poached and the kasundi, which I now know to be a traditional hot Indian tomato relish, just worked so well with the poached eggs and the crusty bread sitting under all the good stuff.

The coffee was nice and mellow but the star of my breakfast was definitely the eggs and kasundi. What a way to end my trip. A lovely breakfast in a rather cool environment, just a block from the QV markets.

Jan, the waitress who served me, was so friendly and attentive. So, not only does this place have good food and good coffee, they have very personable people working for them. Jan was so pleased that I so enjoyed my dish and she mentioned that she would provide my positive feedback to the chef who is constantly trying out new dishes.

Good for him I say! I will definitely be back here the next time I am in Melbourne.

Thank you Seven Seeds and thank you Jeroxie for your great recommendation!

Seven Seeds on Urbanspoon

Seven Seeds
114 Berkeley Street
Carlton
VIC
Website: sevenseeds.com.au/seeds/


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Kin Yuen said...

I like what I see, the airy atmosphere and the menu selections. Very Melbourne! But why did they name this Seven Seeds?