About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Saturday 9 March 2013

Wai Restaurant (Queenstown)

It was our final night - this being the first Gorgeous Girls trip to Queenstown. A tinge of melancholy hit me as we met up for our final dinner and I think this feeling was felt amongst the group too. We have all had a fabulous time and suddenly we realised the week was almost over and it was time to have our final dinner together as a group.

But what a way to celebrate!! We took the water taxi into town, all of us dressed up to the nines!! Here we are in one of our very many group photos, but I think this last group photo is where we are all looking very fine, don't you think so?

Wai Restaurant is a fine dining restaurant located at the pier of Queenstown's wharf. I had read about this restaurant months ago in a travel article about Queenstown and when I found out this was one of the restaurants we were going to dine at as part of the GG group, I was excited!

Because there were so many of us, we were give a few choices of 3 course menus.

For entree, I chose the Tuna Mayonnaise. It had squid, tuna, cucumber, soy and tempura crumb. It looked beautiful and tasted thoroughly delicious! I was surprised that something that looked simple could have such lovely flavours. The cucumber slices were presented in a cigar like shape with the tuna mayonnaise rolled in it.

I managed to take a photo of another entree and this was the Confit Duck Leg Terrine. It had duck liver parfait, cherry jelly, smoked macadamia and gingerbread. How interesting to have the gingerbread thrown into this rather classic French dish. My dining neighbour Jane's verdict was 'Nice'!


For mains, I chose the Truffled Chicken Breast with confit chicken wing, mushrooms, spring onion and corn. It was a lovely dish but there were lots of raves on another main Sucking Pig with apple, pickled onion, baby carrots, peanut brittle and black pudding. Maybe I should have had that?!?!?


Finally there was dessert. I had the very pretty looking Strawberry and Creme Fraiche Roullade, with Schezwan pepper sherbet, meringue and raspberries.

We were so enjoying our meal and taking photos of the group as souvenirs of the trip that we completely forgot about our water taxi which was scheduled to pick us up at 10. Oops, were we in a pickle!!!!


So we quickly finished up dessert, and walked as quickly as possible to the pier and poor Kylie was waiting for us. Phew!!!

It was a lovely night and just to cap it off, there were lovely sweets sitting on my bed with a message from Maeve and Kate.

That was it, that was our last meal together. Sigh!

Wai Waterfront Restaurant
Website: www.wai.net.nz

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: