About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 25 August 2013

Mary's (Newtown)

As we all know, not only do we have fashion trends but we also have food trends. And from what I can gather the current food trend is ramen and burgers! I have even seen pictures on Instagram of ramen burgers in NYC. What next I say?!?!

With that in mind, there are burger joints coming out in spades lately. One of them is Mary's. I first heard about Mary's through social media, namely Twitter and Instagram. The pictures of the burgers and fried chicken were enough to make me salivate. My 'to eat' list immediately went up by one more!! :-)

My visit to Mary's finally happened, many months later!! I finally found the opportunity to check it out with my dear friend and her family. When I got to Newtown I was walking down Mary Street and I seriously could not see where Mary's was. I walked up and down this tiny street twice. For a moment I thought my phone's GPS had failed me.

So I went across to view the buildings from the other side of the street. I saw it, a little nondescript scrawny door which had a string of handwritten words scrawled across the top of the door. I was literally standing outside Mary's and I didn't even know it.

You know that expression 'There's something about Mary's? Well, ditto! I like the grunginess of the place. We were obviously early, say 12 noon early so it wasn't busy yet. But we sat down and looked at the board menu trying to decide which of the 3 burgers we wanted to try (there was Cheeseburger, Mary's burger and Shroomburger) and of course we were ordering the fried chicken too.

When the waitress came around to get our drinks order, she informed us the kitchen wasn't open till 12.30 so we had to wait till then to place our food order. But we didn't mind waiting, it gave us a chance to catch up with each other.

Eventually the food arrived! Yay! Beware folks! There are no cutleries, just paper napkins and your hands to use when chowing down the burgers, fries, fried chicken and mash potatoes.
Mary's burger 
Addictive fries
I had the Mary's burger, CW had the Mary's burger too with a serving of bacon added to hers. The two girls had the Cheeseburger. And we ordered a whole bird of fried chicken and a serve of Mash and Gravy.
Cheeseburger and fries
The food was GOOD! Eating food with your hands is a special thing, the food tastes so much better (in my opinion anyway). I thoroughly enjoyed my Mary's burger but couldn't help but compare it to Shake Shack in NYC (see Shake Shack post) and to Fergburger in Queenstown (see Fergburger in Queenstown post). I still don't believe the burger at Mary's is as good as these two. But don't get me wrong, the burger I had was good. It satisfied my burger cravings and I was also downing my fries with gobs of the mash. Yummy!


As for the fried chicken, it was finger lickin' good. The coating was crunchy and the chicken was tender and juicy.

CW had a bite of the Cheeseburger and she felt that the Cheeseburger was nicer than the Mary's burger. I will have to try that next time. :-)



Mary's on Urbanspoon

Mary's
6, Mary Street
Newtown
NSW 2042


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

zomg that mash! i still havent been to marys and am dying to go!

Cindy said...

Hi chocolatesuze! Thanks for visiting and for your comment! I hope you find the time to go soon!!! You will love it! :-)