About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Saturday 14 September 2013

Black by ezard (Pyrmont, Sydney)

This dinner occurred about a month ago and it was during my month long birthday celebrations. My friend SH had booked for us to dine at Black by ezard and she must have mentioned it was to celebrate my birthday.


When we were seated, before I even had a chance to say Jiminy Cricket, I was presented with a black envelope with Happy Birthday written in gold ink. I was so surprised by it! I opened it and found a 10% discount card in it! What a pleasant surprise!


After perusing the menu, we chose the following dishes.

I had the Pork hock which was slow cooked and served with crispy fried apple, apple and pear slaw and green chilli caramel. I decided on this dish based on Thang Ngo's (Noodlies) recommendation to me. It was absolutely delicious! I was greeted with a chilli hit at my first bite and then the flavours mellowed to a wonderful combination of crunchy, slightly sweet and savoury.

SH, who had been here a couple times previously, ordered their specialty. It was the Organic Farm Egg with potato cream, Iberico jamon and herb salad. She loved it on her first visit and has not failed to order it every time since.

For mains, I had the Ocean Trout which was pan roasted and served with spiced puy lentils, red curry and coconut dressing, Thai basil, pineapple and fish crackle. There was even tofu. I found the flavours quite fascinating. The Asian favours were cleverly combined to produce a blend of delicious but not clashing flavours! And the fish crackle! Wow! I could have had more of that, it was extremely addictive.

SH had the pan fried John Dory served with celeriac, salad of radish, chives, shiso, smoked almonds, verjuice citrus butter sauce and Yarra Valley salmon eggs. She seemed to thoroughly enjoy it!

We also ordered some side dishes. There was Green beans with lemon butter sauce and almonds. And a basket of chips with Parmesan oil and rosemary salt. I couldn't stop eating the chips! Seriously!


I found some room for dessert and had the Strawberry shortcake, mascarpone and vanilla custard, yoghurt lime sorbet and strawberry consommé. And the kitchen surprised me by having the words Happy Birthday written in chocolate around the rim of the plate together with a lit mini candle. How sweet!


SH, who doesn't have a sweet tooth, chose a Cabot cloth bound cheddar and what a spread was presented to her. All that for only $8!!

And to top it off, when we ordered our tea and coffee, a tray of petit fours were served. I wish I could have eaten all of them but I did try most of them and they were delicious!

It was a lovely evening, not only because they made it special but I enjoyed catching up with SH. The food was good and the wine, according to SH, was very good. The service was great (we had a rather attractive and charming Frenchman wait on us) and I felt that we were looked after throughout the evening.

In my humble opinion, of all the 3 restaurants that I have been to by Teague Ezard, Black is the best of all. Having been to Ezard and Gingerboy previously I can honestly say my experience at Black has been the most enjoyable.

Now I have to find the right excuse to use my 10% discount voucher before the year ends.....

BLACK by ezard on Urbanspoon

Black by ezard
Level G, Harbourside
The Star
80 Pyrmont Street
Pyrmont
NSW 2009
Website: www.blackbyezard.com.au

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: