About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Tuesday 31 December 2013

Reflections on the year 2013

This post was in draft mode for days. I was trying to work out what to say about my year. So many things have happened but at the same time I didn't want to bore my readers to tears!

This is the first time I am posting about my highlights for the year. I thought it appropriate since I did 2 travel trips this year and for my US trip, I really didn't finish all my NYC posts except for where I ate. Lol! Why is that so predictable of me?

So what where my highlights? Well, work kept me very busy this year and there were highs and lows during the year but it ended on a high note when I got a promotion just before the year end shut down. It will be interesting to see how 2014 turns out. There will be more responsibilities and I doubt my hours will lessen. But I have a 'wait and see' view of all things work related!

My personal highlights would be the travel I did this year. Firstly, my trip to Queenstown was such a treat! It was a combination of pamper, shopping, sight seeing, wine tasting and great food. What more can a foodie who loves pampering want? I even think I had one of the best burgers ever when I was in Queenstown! Yes, seriously!!
A view from one of the vineyards in Central Otago
Fergburger
The view from Trump Soho on one night's sunset (NYC)
My trip to US in June was another highlight. I decided to join Sami Lukis's ladies only group to NYC but I added a few days prior to that by starting my holiday in Washington DC. Having not been there before I was such a tourist! Loved all the things I saw and it was such a privilege to actually see the Declaration of Independence and tour the small portion of Capitol Hill we were allowed to do.
Capitol Hill
Seriously good scallops at DC Coast
But from a food perspective, I have to say my dinner at minibar was an absolute highlight and one of the best food experiences I have had. Till today, I cannot help but extol my experience at this very unique restaurant. Jose Andres is a genius in his own right! Love his passion and creativity!!
A map of the NYC subway right in Soho!
Believe it or not! These are for dogs, not for kids..only in the US of A!

In NYC, this being my 3rd trip, I was a little more blasé but very quickly lost it when I realised how little I knew about NYC every time I am there. This time I stayed in Soho, fell in love with Soho, the Greenwich Village and got to walk across the Brooklyn Bridge. And this time, I incorporated as much food experience as possible and enjoyed my trip all the more because of it. My non food highlights would be witnessing a marriage proposal in Grand Central terminal, listening to some fantastic buskers as I walked along Soho, having yoga in Central Park, visiting Chelsea Markets for the first time, walking along The High Line, visiting roof top bars and enjoying the splendid views of NYC. And of course  the Brooklyn Bridge was a highlight too!
High Line
Chelsea Market
Chelsea Market
The newly engaged couple in Grand Central Terminal
Getting ready for yoga in Central Park
Buskers livening up the streets of Soho
My NYC food highlights would be all the dinners we had but what stood out was the Afternoon tea at The Plaza, having ramen at Totto Ramen and experiencing my first bite of David Chang's famous pork bun, queuing for  Cronuts and my Shake Shack burger!

There were so many dining experiences I had this year in Sydney. Too many to list but all memorable in their own right. And a lot more places I have to check out. Instead of listing where I have been I would like to focus on where I would like to dine at for next year. Mr Wong (I know!!! How slow am I?), Ippudo, Brewtown Newtown, Kepos Street Kitchen, Three Williams are some of the names I can think of as at the top of my list. And who knows what new hot place is just around the corner!

But most of all, it would be the friendships that I fostered with so many of the ladies of the NYC group that I hope will grow over time! And I am grateful to my friends who have supported me this year, your constant presence in my life is appreciated. You should all get an award for tolerating me! :)

It has been a good year and I am grateful for all the opportunities I had to travel, enjoy the most out of all my precious moments and I can only look forward to 2014!

Thank you to all my regular visitors for your continued support. I am grateful that you take time out to read my posts, some of you leave comments which is something I delight in reading. I can only hope I will have more interesting posts to put up in 2014!

Cheers to everyone! Happy New Year!!

A Foodie's Joy xx


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

chocolatesuze said...

happy new year Cindy and all the best for 2014!

Cindy said...

Thanks Suze! The same to you too!