About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 20 July 2014

Bar Surry Hills and Italian Kitchen (Surry Hills, Sydney)

The story of how we came to be here is quite amusing. I hope my regular visitors will bear with me while I regale you with this snippet. My friends and I had been planning this catch up for a while now and we had decided on lunching at Tapavino.

But we had arranged this quite a while ago and Tapavino's website at that time did indicate it was open on Saturdays. Lo and behold, around 10 pm the night before the catch up, for some reason I was compelled to check the website and realised to my horror Tapavino was no longer open on the weekends! Aargh!

After some scrambling of text messages and some quick googling, I decided on checking out Bar Surry Hills and Italian Kitchen which recently launched a revamped refurbishment and menu.

At around 12.30 pm on a Saturday, I was the first to walk in and it felt quite strange to be the first one on the premise. But over the next few hours, it started to have more and more people coming in. Phew!

We chatted and chilled over drinks and some delicious food. I was very surprised at how good the food turned out.

Garlic Parmesan Crust - talk about super crusty. My friends said it was delicious! They finished the lot so that says something!

Salumi Misti Board of prosciutto, sopressa, mortadella with hand made grissini, Sicilian olives, grana and extra virgin olive oil. I shared with this my friend MA and we both loved the board. I even got to see the salumi being thinly shaved by the young cook. Loved the grissini and the salumi were so thinly sliced the shavings were practically melting in my mouth. More please!


Bianco Pizza which was a potato, rosemary, mozzarella, and garlic pizza drizzled with truffle oil. I did not expect the pizza to be as thin as it turned out. It was wonderfully crusty and the potatoes were thinly sliced yet had a nice bite. Yum!

Porcini mushroom tortellini with truffle cream, pecorino and wild mushrooms. Two of my friends ordered this dish and I managed to get a taste over a few mouthfuls. I absolutely loved the creaminess of the sauce and the tortellini was perfectly cooked. It was deliciously creamy and tasted quite luscious! And a rather pretty looking dish too!

And for dessert we chose the Nutella Pizza which was drizzled with syrup and topped with slices of fresh strawberries. Once again the pizza was deliciously light and crusty. Loved the taste of the slightly tangy strawberry offsetting the sweet Nutella. Would have loved more strawberries on it though! :)

A lovely sweet way to end an afternoon filled with heaps of catching up and tons of laughter!

Bar Surry Hills & Italian Kitchen on Urbanspoon
Bar Surry Hills and Italian Kitchen
28 Albion Street
Surry Hills
NSW 2010
Facebook: BarSurryHillsandItalianKitchen

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

4 comments:

Helen (Grab Your Fork) said...

A lucky save indeed, and a tasty one by the looks of it! Crisis averted!

Cindy said...

Hi Helen, a good save indeed! Meant to be I think! :)

chocolatesuze said...

yummm that tortellini looks so good! what are the prices like?

Cindy said...

Hi Suze, the 12" pizzas were $16 each and pastas like the delightful tortellini were $20 each.