About Me

Food is one of my many joys in life. It is a common bond I share among my friends and family. Combining food and travel makes it all the more interesting. I enjoy going out for a good meal with friends and family. The array of various cuisines and our fantastic array of produce really makes Sydney such a great city to live in. Blogging is my hobby and my posts on restaurant meals I have had are paid for and not gratis. Any gratis provided to me will always be stated beforehand.

Sunday 19 October 2014

Papparich Parramatta (Parramatta, Sydney)

As most of you would know, Papparich is a chain of Malaysian food outlets around Australia and Asia Pacific. The first venue I dined at was the Chatswood branch which was their first restaurant in Sydney. Till today, I think there are queues just to get a table. And that opened over a year ago.

Recently, they opened in Parramatta and the food blogger in me had to check it out. On my first visit I met up with Mel from The Adventures of Miss Piggy and her husband Dave. It was nice catching up with Mel after such a long time and as usual we were busy taking pics of our dishes before we took a single bite.

Deep fried chicken skin - we had to order this, especially since I had yet to try this wonderfully crispy, addictive dish. Yum! I couldn't stop popping one in my mouth every few minutes. Dangerous!!

Nasi Lemak with Beef Rendang - a very popular dish which was ordered by Mel and Dave. Turns out this is one of their favourite dishes to order when at Papparich!

Biryani Rice With Red Chicken and Sambal Prawns - this is one of my favourite dishes to order and it did not disappoint. I do like the flavours of the Biryani rice which was infused with various spices like onions, cardamom and cloves. It makes this rice so much more interesting and full of flavour. The red chicken had a slightly sweet yet slightly spicy flavour. And all this served with a rather large pappadum.

Sambal prawns side dish ordered by Dave - it was not overcooked and nicely spiced.

Roti served with dhal and curry - the roti was nicely cooked. It was lightly crunchy. And I enjoyed using my hand to tear the roti and dip in the dhal/curry. Brings back memories of my Malaysian life. However I did note the bread had a tinge of sweetness to it and I couldn't for the life of me work out what ingredient in the bread would cause this sweetness. Note: in my opinion savoury rotis should not have this tinge of sweetness.

On my next visit, I decided to check out the Assam Laksa. This is a perennial favourite of mine and one I know most restaurants in Australia would struggle to meet my very high standards! And yes, I did find the dish wanting. It did not have enough sourness (i.e. the word Assam denotes sour), it did not have enough spice chilli wise. But I enjoyed the texture of the noodle and the bits of sweet pineapple was a nice contrast to the sourness. However I would have liked more chunks of fish in the broth.

For deserts and drinks, we had the following.

Milo Dinosaur and Lychee Soda. I did enjoy the refreshing taste of the Lychee Soda and ordered it both times.


On my second visit I had the Ta Foo Fa King with Sugar Syrup - one of my perennial favourite Chinese desserts. I used to buy these when I was in Malaysia from road hawkers. And it was bagged in a plastic bag and I took it home, chilled it in the fridge and consumed the deliciously silky tofu chilled. This time it was a warm dessert and I must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. It soothed my slightly raspy throat, it was smooth and silky and nicely balanced with the syrup.

So would I return to Papparich Parramatta? Yes I would! I just have to be mindful of which dishes to order. I am sure you have worked out which are my favourite dishes! :)

PappaRich on Urbanspoon
Papparich Parramatta
121 Argyle Street
Parramatta
NSW 2150
Website: www.papparich.net.au/

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments: